Individual Post #3

Individual Post #3

From the readings, I notice that there is a way the system or the pedagogy can direct the way students should behave and react to certain matters in education and learning. Such a factor has less impact on the student’s natural creativity and innovativeness; this is evident in the concept of digital redlining discussed by one of the authors. I think the authors got it wrong to develop a general perspective on how students as well as the society respond to the process of learning where an open pedagogy enables then to be taken through the usual way of doing things with a believe that they will react to the system and respond to the change in behavior (Mays.et.al.2017). The process of learning sometimes only calls for a well-established interactive platform that will subject students to rational thinking and perception of some matters in the environment.
I wonder how the current pedagogy cannot subject leaners to the free thinking platform so that they can discriminate what is right and wrong but instead they control even the way the student should search certain matters from the internet and even the library (Kral & Schwab 2012). This is done through filtering content with an aim of creating equity as well as the access security issues as described by Chris Gillard in his presentation of the concept of Digital Redlining, access and privacy. Despite the situation, I am inspired with an approach of open pedagogy in education as described in chapter one of “A Guide to Making Open Textbooks with Students”, this technique allows an interaction of various theories, technologies as well as social justice with a common focus of developing educational practices and the structure of learning.
From what I have learnt here, I will apply the knowledge of open pedagogy at the place of work through integration of various skills, ideologies, directives to come up with a unified system that will ensure role allocation to the colleague workers in our thrive to meet the objectives of the company (Gilliard & Culik 2016). Adherence to the system of work is very essential when it comes to meeting up the expectations of the employer. The only thing I need to be clarified is on how an open pedagogy can be a success under computer surveillance evident at the community college where “intrusive advising” seems to be central among learners and the tutors. This system seems to be more rigid but the authors describes it to be an open pedagogy style of learning.

Chapter 1 of A Guide to Making Open Textbooks with Students .
Digital Redlining, Access, and Privacy .
Chapter 4 of Safe Learning Spaces. Youth, Literacy and New Media in Remote Indigenous Australia.